Weston’s Rivercroft Farm FRPP Easement
USVLT conserved this Fryeburg farm in early 2014. A community treasure and area landmark, the Rivercroft Farm has been in the Weston family for 7 generations (since 1799). This purchased agricultural easement was only made possible through the generosity of the Weston family, USVLT’s many members and supporters, as well as the Maine Farmland Trust and USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service — Farm and Ranchland Protection Program (FRPP).
- Single family ownership for 212 years (7 generations)
- Community asset to Town of Fryeburg
- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Outstanding floodplain soils
- One of the last family farms in Fryeburg
- Intact habitat areas along the Saco River
The conservation easement protects:
- 166.7 acres of prime agricultural soils
- 6,050 feet of frontage along the Saco River
- 2,420 feet of undeveloped frontage on Route 113/ River Street
- Many of the farm’s historic buildings
- Quality of surface and groundwater in the Saco River watershed
- State-ranked rare natural communities (e.g., Silver Maple Floodplain Forest that buffers the river)
Rivercroft Farm was also awarded the 2006 Conservation Farm Cooperator of the Year by Oxford County Soil and Water Conservation District. Much more information about the farm is available on their informative website.